Digital Marketing – Website activity objectives
Digital marketing website activity objectives are designed to improve customer engagement, increase sales, increase the percentage of return visitors, reduce the bounce rate, and drive organic traffic to the site.
- Increase the number of unique visitors – The number of unique visitors to your site is a vital metric that will help you determine the effectiveness of your digital marketing campaigns and strategies.
- Increase the number of returning customers – It is widely accepted that one of the most demanding digital marketing objectives to meet is to convert brand visitors into returning, loyal customers. Therefore, it is vital to measure the number of return visitors to determine the number of visits it takes before they convert.
- Increase time spent on website metrics – The longer visitors remain on your brand’s website, the greater the chance that they will convert into loyal customers.
- Improve the navigation path to the CTA – Website navigation path metrics are a critical measure of how well your website is performing when it comes to engaging visitors, ensuring they remain engaged, and driving them through the conversion funnel.
- Reduce your website’s bounce/exit rate – The website bounce rate is a metric that measures the number of people who land on your website and leave immediately, without beginning the process of navigating through the site. It is crucial to reduce the bounce rate metric to improve lead and customer conversion rates.
- Improve lead generation rate – The lead generation metric shows what percentage of website visitors are engaging with the site’s content. This figure will tell you if your CTA is successful or not.
Digital Marketing – Sales and revenue objectives
The digital marketing sales and revenue objectives are designed to increase sales figures and overall revenue as a direct and indirect consequence of the brand’s digital marketing strategy.
- Increase revenue per customer – Calculating how much money is generated per customer will help identify your brand’s most lucrative market segments.
- Improve total revenue per customer metrics – Improve the effectiveness of your digital marketing campaign by tracking and improving revenue per customer.
- Increase total sales numbers – Measuring the total number of sales, or the total number of purchases, per digital marketing campaign shows how effective the campaign is.
- Improve conversion rate – Improved conversion rates translate directly and indirectly into profitable revenue. Therefore, it is vital to increase the number of visitors to your website that convert into returning customers. The higher the conversion rate, the greater the marketing spend ROI.
- Improve revenue per marketing channel – It is essential to measure the performance of each marketing channel utilized to ensure the improved metrics and success rates of subsequent campaigns.
Digital Marketing – Profitability objectives
A robust digital marketing strategy must begin with clear, actionable, and achievable goals. And, the primary aim of the successful strategy is to drive profitability objectives. A company cannot exist if it is not profitable.
- Reduce cost per lead metrics – Because it costs money to generate new business, it is essential to measure the cost per lead metric. This is to track the value of your marketing spend and the ROI per lead.
- Improve profit per customer – Customer profitability metrics are calculated by subtracting the customer acquisition costs from customer-generated revenue. This is an essential number to measure to reduce costs and improve profits per customer.
- Improve Return on Investment metrics – Return on Investment is the ratio between the net profit and the cost of the investment. The digital marketing strategy ROI is the ratio between the net profit gained from the strategy and the marketing spend for the strategy. Improved ROI translates into increased income versus decreased marketing spend.
Digital Marketing – Customer engagement objectives
Customer engagement is the key to profitable digital marketing in the Engagement Economy. Therefore, it is vital to engage with consumers in a meaningful way to determine what they expect from the brand.
- Improve Customer lifetime value – A loyal customer will yield accumulative value over time (months and years). Therefore, measuring a customer’s lifetime value will enable you to identify what that value is, as well as how to increase it.
- Improve customer retention rate – The customer retention rate indicates the percentage of customers the brand has retained over time. The retention rate is juxtaposed to the percentage of customers lost over the same period. (churn rate) A high customer retention rate is critical as it links sales figures and overall profit.
- Improve number of social media likes and shares – A substantial part of your brand’s digital marketing strategy should include frequent posts on social media. Likes and shares are your target audience’s way of showing they’re paying attention. This is a useful customer engagement metric. The more likes and shares, the more engaged your customers are.
- Increase social media followers – Social media engagement affects brand awareness, sales, and search engine rankings due to the positive signals it sends. Therefore, it is becoming increasingly important to improve social media followers.
- Improve social engagement metrics – Customer engagement is an important part of the successful digital marketing strategy. Although likes and shares are important, engaging with your brand by commenting on stories and participating in online discussions is more valuable. In the digital age, consumers approve of a brand when the brand engages with them.
Digital Marketing – Brand reputation objectives
Brand reputation management is a fundamental aspect of growing and maintaining a business. A positive brand reputation establishes loyalty and improves customer confidence in your brand’s products: driving sales, growth, and profitability.
- Increase brand awareness – In order to convert your brand’s target audience into returning customers, they have to know that you are open for business. This is a vital metric to measure because it shows your brand’s market penetration levels.
- Improve brand market share metrics – The higher your brand’s market share, or the greater the market penetration, the more profitable it will be. Therefore, keeping track of this number is the first step to increasing your brand’s market share.
- Increase search engine rankings – Brand reputation plays a fundamental role in determining where your brand ranks on search engines like Google. Therefore, it is essential to track this metric to improve its ranking.
- Increase positive comments and reduce negative comments – Tracking this metric is essential to monitor brand reputation. Good comments foster a good impression of your company and brand. Negative comments do the opposite. Therefore, it is vital to ensure that the number of positive comments far outweigh the negative ones.
- Increase the number of media mentions – In the Engagement Economy, consumers have the most say over a brand’s performance. Media mentions by top sites also add value to the brand’s reputation. Tracking the number of online brand mentions to monitor what the press is saying about you and how often your brand is mentioned.
Understanding SEO objectives will help you focus your efforts on developing successful online marketing strategies that make your company website attractive to your target audience. It is vital to set realistic SEO objectives and goals to help you stay on track and within budget for what your business requires.
- Improve the number of organic sessions – Measuring the percentage of organic traffic to the company’s website is one of the most important metrics to monitor; the more traffic, the greater the potential for customer sales. Measuring organic sessions over time is the strongest indicator that your SEO strategy is working.
- Increase keyword ranking metrics – Keyword ranking is an indispensable KPI to measure because it directly correlates with SEO success. It measures the changes in your search engine rankings for competitive and targeted keywords, including long-tailed keywords. And it demonstrates the effectiveness of your company’s SEO strategy.
- Increase lead rate metrics – The lead rate measures the percentage of website visitors who are captured as leads when entering the top of the sales funnel. This metric indicates your company’s ability to attract the right audience as well as the efficiency at which your brand’s website turns visitors into leads.
- Improve conversion rate metrics – The conversion rate is the ratio of visitors (or leads) who respond to the CTA (Call-To-Action) on the brand’s website. This CTA might be to sign up for an email newsletter or to purchase one or more products on the brand’s website. Visitors who perform this action are considered conversions.
- Improve the bounce rate metric – The bounce rate measures how many people bounce off your website. If a visitor lands on your site’s home page and moves off immediately. A high bounce rate is a negative metric. Your aim is to keep the bounce rate as low as possible.
- Improve the number of pages per session metric – The pages-per-session metric measures how many web pages a visitor to the brand’s website visits in one session. This metric aims to show how engaged your target audience is with your brand’s website.
- Increase average session duration rate – The average session duration metric measures the total length of all sessions over time, in seconds, divided by the number of sessions for the period measured. The length of an individual session is the length of time that a visitor spends on your site.
- Increase page load time metric – The web page load time metric measures the time (in seconds) it takes to download and display the web page’s content in the browser window. This web performance metric impacts user engagement. The longer a web page takes to load, the higher the bounce rate.
- Improve top exit page metric – The top exit page metric measures the site’s outflow or exit. The exit page metric indicates both a positive and a negative trend. When the visitor has completed the site’s CTA, they will exit at the end of this process. Early exits require an analysis to determine the problem.
- Improve crawl error metric – The Google web crawlers and indexing algorithms need to crawl through every web page on your site to assess its value and relevance. If there are crawl errors, Google’s algorithms cannot access all of your site’s content.
- Improve backlinks and referring domain metrics – Organic backlinks and referring domains are the two vital aspects of increasing your website’s ranking on the Google SERP. The backlinks and referring domains must come from high-quality sites; otherwise, Google might penalize your site. The higher the backlinks’ authority, the higher Google will rank your site.
- Improve search ranking metric – The higher your website ranks for brand-specific keywords, the greater the change of visitors navigating to your website, and converting to returning customers. The search ranking metric is a critical KPI because it is a direct connection to your brand’s success in the online space.
- Improve search visibility metric – The search visibility metric is used to calculate how visible a website is on the Google SERP. If this metric is low, then your website is not ranked high enough on the SERP for a particular keyword. Armed with information, you’ll be able to adjust your site’s SEO strategy.
- Increase the number of quality links – Measuring the number of quality backlinks is a fundamental SEO metric for content marketers and SEO experts. High-quality backlinks are now amongst the most important ranking factors. Therefore, your SEO strategy should involve acquiring high-quality organic backlinks.
The rationale behind the need for digital marketing KPIs has arisen out of the fact that digital marketing has emerged as the core marketing methodology for almost every business organization, irrespective of size and number of employees. Consequently, there is a need to measure digital marketing efficiencies. Finally, they are intended to measure profitability, sales, and revenue metrics in relation to digital media marketing campaigns and strategies.