Order processing is the first task in the order-to-cash procedure. Orders are accepted through various means such as phone, fax, website, email or personal
Related: Order Entry Clerk, Customer Service Representative, Order Fulfillment Specialist, Sales Support Specialist
- Internal Order Communication Percentage – The percentage of orders conveyed internally for each of the following mediums versus the total number of orders: proprietary order management system, intranet, telephone, facsimile, mail)
- Order Communication Cycle Time – The average amount of time (in hours) required to convey and order internally, from the submission of the order by the client to registration into the firm’s order management system
- Order Information Error Rate – The percentage of orders registered into the order management system that has mistakes (wrong address, product details, invoice details, etc) versus the total number of orders registered
- Order Processing Automation – A yes/no metric showing whether there are automated features of the order processing procedure, employing a type of order management system
- Order Placement Percentage – The percentage of orders submitted by each of the firm’s order placement instruments (email, phone, mail) versus the total number of client orders
- Average Order Value – The total worth ($US) of client orders submitted through the firm’s eCommerce website divided by the number of orders submitted during a similar time period
- Shopping Cart Abandonment Rate – The percentage of visitors who placed products to their shopping basket but do not finish the checkout process versus the number of guests with active shopping carts
- Average Order Time – The total order management staff time devoted to client orders (e.g. on the phone, registering information, etc) divided by the number of orders managed during a similar time period
- Maximum Size – A yes/no metric showing whether the firm puts a maximum size limit on client orders
- Order Fill Rate – The percentage of orders met according to client specifications versus the total number of orders submitted
- Time to Ship – The average amount of time needed for an order to be shipped and arrive at its expected destination according to the date the order was submitted
Order Management Specialist job responsibilities
- Complete daily inventory checks to ensure order accuracy.
- Maintain the company’s order processing manual.
- Manage the company’s various shipping vendors.
- Set up and document the order process for new customers.
The returns processing office makes sure that the returned goods are properly processed and stored for later use.
Related: Returns Specialist, Return Support Specialist, Returns Manager, Returns Clerk
- Percentage of Products Returned & Resold – The percentage of products that are returned, accepted in good condition (no defect), qualified for resale and then resold in a specified time period (e.g. quarterly, yearly) versus the total number of returned goods
- Returns Processing Cycle Time – The total time required to deal with returns in hours, calculated from receipt of the rejected order to the settlement of the return (either reimbursement to the client or the delivery of a replacement item)
- Percentage of Returns in the Warranty Period – The percentage of goods returned within the active warranty period versus the total number of returns during a specified term
- Percentage of Products Returned in Good Order – The percentage of goods returned, accepted in good condition (no defect) and qualified for resale versus the total number of returned goods
- Return Rate – The percentage of goods sold that are returned to the distribution team versus the total number of goods sold
- Order Refund Rate – The percentage of orders reimbursed by a vendor versus the total number of orders in a given term
- Total Cost of Ownership – The total expense of originally obtaining the merchandise, reselling it, receiving it as a return and transferring it through an alternate market or disposing of it
- Per Item Handling Cost – The average expense of dealing with returned goods, indicated as total facility expenditure per month divided by the number of goods handled
- Scrap Rate – The percentage of returned goods that reconsidered unqualified for resale and are disposed or recycled versus the total number of returned products
- Time to Return Orders – The number of days during which the vendor allows a standard return (open to exclusions)